Sunday, December 19, 2010

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

This was delicious. I was in the mood for potato soup today, and luckily for me we have TONS of potatoes! So, I went to my kitchen and started cooking.
YUM. Perfect for the cold weather!

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Ingredients:
Potatoes (diced and peeled if you want. Also, I just eyed how many to use, I think it was about 4 potatoes.
1 yellow onion diced
3 T butter
3 T flour
2 cloves minced garlic
1.5 cup diced ham
2 cups chicken broth
4 cups milk
1 T ground mustard powder
salt and pepper to taste (I used a lot!)
1/4 cup ranch
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup cheese

What to do:
1. Cook your potatoes. (Dice them first, then throw into boiling water with a lot of salt and cook about 10 minutes. Until fork tender, but not too soft!) Drain
2. In the same pot, put diced onions, garlic, and butter over medium heat and cook until onions are see through and soft.
3. Add the flour, and stir until its a thick bubbly mess :). Then, add the milk, chicken broth, and potatoes. As that is slowly coming to a boil, make sure you keep stirring. Add the ground mustard.
4. Add the cheese (make sure you slowly add it and stir the whole time, or the cheese won't melt into the soup.) Then add the ham, ranch and sour cream. Let come to a low simmer, and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until it has thickened up. Add lots of salt and pepper for taste! (I probably use too much! lol. but, I love salt and pepper)
5. Serve in a bowl and add some sour cream and cheese on top! Enjoy!
Tips to Wanna-be-chefs: If you want to use bacon instead of ham definitely do it! All you would do is cook it before the onions, and add the onions once the bacon is almost cooked! I used ham to make it healthier!
Also, I used fat free sour cream, and ranch, low fat cheese, and one percent milk so it wasn't too fatty!

3 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! I love this blog of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that does look yummy! You're such a good chef! Come follow me too :) www.deliciousgoodness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! I'm definitely going to try this one.

    ReplyDelete