Monday, January 17, 2011

Chicken Tostadas

As I was walking through the grocery store, I came across some tostada shells, and I thought, man, I haven't had those in so long! I love me some tostadas. So, I decided to buy them, and make some yummy chicken tostadas. I homemade the refried beans as well, because I like black beans, and it was actually really easy! Here are the recipes for both! ENJOY!

Chicken Tostadas
Ingredients for chicken:
6-8 chicken breasts (frozen works great!)
1 T of chili powder
a squeeze of lemon juice
1 can green enchilada sauce

Other Ingredients for tostadas (use anything you want!):
Tostada shells (just flat corn tortilla chips is what they are)
Refried beans (recipe below)
cheese
guacamole
sour cream
onions
tomatoes
olives
lettuce

what to do:
1. Put it all into a crockpot, and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Take chicken out of liquid and shred. Put shredded chicken back into the crockpot and cook another hour. There's your chicken!
2. Spread beans on the shell, put some chicken on top, then top with whatever other toppings you feel like it! SO GOOD!

Refried Beans
Ingredients:
One can of black beans, rinsed and drained
about a half cup of water
2 large cloves of garlic
2 T olive oil
1 teaspoon paprika
1 T chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

what to do:
1. Put the black beans, water, garlic, paprika, and chili powder into a small pot on the stove over medium heat.
2. Let it get to a boil, cover and cook about 7-8 minutes
3. Blend or mash it with one of those hand mixers (pictured above) if you don't have one, then mash with a fork!
4. Salt and pepper as much as you want.
5. Put on your tostada!

tips to wanna-be-chefs:
I had never made homemade refried beans before and I just made that recipe up! They turned out wonderful, but you can do whatever seasonings you have available! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment